Monday, November 26, 2012

November 26, 2012

From: Jade Swayne <jade.swayne@myldsmail.net>
Subject: Re: Did you have enough turkey?
To: "Penny Paxman" <paxmanp@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, November 26, 2012, 1:03 PM

Well...This was a Turkey day NOT to be forgotten!!!
 
First it was my first mission thanksgiving (1 down 1 to go!!)
Second, I did not have one single item of food that I didn't like.
Third, I got to hangout with some of the greatest families in the Gallup 2nd ward.
And fourth, I love Gallup!!!!
 
This place has reaaaaaally grown on me and I simply can not bare the thought of being transferred someday. Haha and yes yes...I know what you may be thinking " Is this the same girl who basically went into a depressions when she found out she was going to New Mexico?? and now she says she loves Gallup!?whuuuuuut!?" And to answer that question I have to say "no"...I am not that same girl...I am still brown and full of poise and grace, as I have always, been (haha) but other than that I feel different. I feel like a completely different person than when I left. I never would have guessed that I could have SO many..SO SO SOOOOO many character flaws! Haha. And I also could have never guessed that the Lord would do so much to help me to correct myself.
 
These have undoubtedly been some, if not the most, PAINFUL weeks/ months of my life! It is hard to get up in the morning, it is hard to be with somebody 24/7, and it is hard to do almost everything that we as missionaries are asked to do. BUT I would not give up these uncomfortable, painful, humbilifying,character-shaping months for all the watermelon, coconut waters and cobs of corn in the world! (Only those who know me well will understand the weight of that statement) 
 
I just can't even begin to tell you how much I love being a missionary. To see the joy that people feel when you come into their home. To see the relief in their eyes when you tell them that there is life after death. To see the change in them when they follow up on challenges and begin to develop their own testimonies.
 
Wow...What a fulfilling life it is being a missionary. I wish that I could wear a head cam to show you all of the crazy things we see out here. We got word from our President that, since all of the mission will be filling up after the age change for missionaries, they might be opening up the Rez area to the sisters again!!!! Which means we would be living on the Reservation.....Isn't that awesome!?
 
The Rez has been closed to the Sisters for years. But now that there is a new mission president (President Batt) , that rule might change here in the next few months. The word on the street is that the mission will be increased by about 100 missionaries! They wanted to increase it to more but there is not enough housing out here right now for that many to come in.
 
It's awesome to be a witness and a helping hand in bringing the children of Lehi back to the truth. I never would have guessed that my mission would be so prophetic, if that's the word I'm looking for.
 
Mitchell, Jacob, Kenzie, Mckale, Connor, Chan and Kylie....if you ever even have a thought about serving a mission...do it. It is the most fulfilling thing I have ever done. It is totally worth every sacrifice to get out here. To see people's lives changed, to feel love for complete strangers and to be on the Lord's errand is the best choice my 21 year old self has ever made.
 
On a lighter note, it is crazy to think that we will get to skype each other next month, Mom and Dad. It is even crazier to think that my whole entire 22nd year of life will be spent without any of you physically in my life...that is nuts! But again I'm grateful to be here and I know that this year will go by really fast.
 
Welcome home to Joe Cobb!! I missed you boi! :) and can't wait to see you in 2014. I told your mom, before I left, that I was bummed that you were getting home before I got to see you. I told her " now I'll never get to marry Joe and become a part of the Cobb family!! He'll be married before I get back!" lol and your mom said " There is always adoption.." Sooo, basically instead of me fighting BYU girls to death for your hand I will just go with your mom's idea ;) you might just have a new sister when I get back home...Haha I will not miss my chance to be a Cobb again! I love your family. Thank you for the e-mail Sister Cobb. Your door approach idea might just happen one of these days...
 
Well, I think it's time for me to log outta here and get back to work. Our Jeep's head lights weren't working, so it's in the shop right now. So currently we're driving a Chevy Colorado pick-up. Which is one of my dream cars. I love driving this lil thing! I wake up every morning thinking "Yes! I get to drive on the Rezzie roads in a lil beast wagon'' It's a pretty awesome life, I must say..
 
But alrighty. I love all of you! and I mean, ALL. I think about ya often and honestly don't miss you because I am having such a great time here and have lots of wonderful memories of our time together to sustain my days. And please don't take that the wrong way. I just really do love being a missionary and am slowly but surely losing myself in this work.
 
So again, I love you all so so much and know that we will be together again before you know it. Don't waste a day missing me. Live life to the fullest instead so that we can have all kinds of great stories to share when February 19th 2014 rolls around :) :) :)
 
Keep the letters comin. I love them! And a thousand times " I love you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment